I know the talk delivered by Mufti Muhammad Saeed Ahmad Palanpuri (damat baraktuhum), who teaches Hadith at Darul Uloom Deoband, is a little old but I just listened now to it – after reading a post on Sunni Forum about it.
In this Bayan Mufti Saeed Palanpuri Sahab explains in an excellent way, why the Ulema of Deoband differ with Sayyid Abul Ala Maududi’s ideology on which he founded almost 66 years ago now the sect which is known to us all as Jama’at-e-Islami. But I personally think that what Mufti Sahab is pointing out can be applied to many other sects as well, especially the political-driven ones.
Any of the following five points are enough to go astray.
- Are actions or beliefs that all Sahabah (radhiallaho anhum ajmaeen) agreed upon to follow or not? Maududi nor any of his followers answered this yet.
- The whole Ummah agrees that “Qutbu Raha” of our entire Deen is the satisfaction of Allah Subhanahu wa Ta’ala. Maududi Sahib replaced this through ‘the establishment of Huqumat-e-Ilahi’.
- Islam is not complete without any of the following three: ‘Aqidah, Amaal and Tasawwuf. (Taken from the Hadith in which Jibra’eel comes and asks Muhammad Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam about Islam, Iman and Ehsan.) Unfortunately seems Jamaat-e-Islami allergic against the latter.
- The concept of Modern Islam, including learning and interpretating Qur’an and Ahadith themselves.
- With the help of the given Aql (intelligence) one’s supposed to understand the meaning of Qur’an and Ahadith. The other way around is devistating: Qur’an and Ahadith’ meaning is what ones Aql tells.
At the end Mufti Saeed Ahmad Palanpuri (may Allah preserve him and let us benefit from him) says that many ask if Maududi was still a Muslim with such devistating beliefs and concepts, the answer to this is “yes”. But he and his sect are outside of the Ahle Sunnah wal Jama’ah.
May Allah keep us all on the right path – the path of the the Ambiya, the Shuhadah, the Siddiqeen and the Saleheen. Ameen!