An Arif is a person one can find the following six qualities in:
- When he remembers Allah, then he thinks of this favour as big (so he appreciates it).
- When he looks at himself, then he disregards himself (this is slavery’s real perfection).
- Seeing Allah’s verse he gets admended (this is the real goal).
- When lustful and sinful thoughts come, then he gets scared (obviously being scared of only a sin’s thought is a sign of perfection).
- Contemplating on Allah’s quality of mercifulness makes him happy (the salvation of the slave is dependent on the Lord’s mercifulness).
- When he remembers by-gone sins, then he makes Istighfar (this is the perfect slave’s magnificence).
[from “Tanbihul Ghafileen” by Faqih Abu Layth Samarqandi Rahimullah]